Sunday 4 August 2013

Further Cake Adventures





I’ve been playing with icing again. This time the cake was for my nephew’s birthday. As it was a family party I decided to steer clear of chocolate, as it doesn’t suit everyone (oh the horror). I also wanted a cake I could eat. The result was a gluten free egg-free lemon cake. I’m really pleased with it and the great thing about lemon is that the cake tastes better after a few days, rather than stale.


The nieces suggested a train cake, which sounded like fun to me. This is just one normal sized cake, baked in a square tin then cut to form an engine and carriages. There is a lot of icing – seriously so much icing. There will be icing dreams.



Over all I’m pretty happy with how it turned out, although the many ways it deviates from a proper train bother me a little. For example just how the wheels work when they’re outside the track is a mystery and the funnel placement plain wrong (but necessary for cake structural integrity, unfortunately). The kink in the track is also odd – when I saw how it’d turned out I wanted to create a train derailment, because there is no way a train could get around a corner that tight. Sadly disaster themed cakes are probably not suitable for toddlers.

No comments:

Post a Comment